skip to Main Content


These are the legal rules by which you and I fly. These privileges, however lenient, carry responsibilities. The ultralight industry successfully self-regulated the freedom to fly with relatively few government regulations and public safety limitations. While there are no specific legal requirements, ultralight pilots must be trained just like any other pilot.

Important observation: The number of ultralight pilots who can not afford basic piloting skills to fly the ultralight somehow have enough money for ultralight repair/replacement, medical/hospital expenses and sometimes funeral costs. Getting training is a wise investment for all. Typically you train in a two place light-Sport aircraft to the point where you are ready to confidently solo in calm, bumpy and crosswind conditions.

Additionally, there are no time, training or FAA tests for a single place ultralight. However, the federal laws FAR Title 14 Part 103 require the non FAA licensed pilot to fly an ultralight with certain federal requirements for the safety of the general public which require significant education of the federal airspace and specific requirements to fly into some controlled federal airspace. For an ultralight pilot to think he/she is operating without any federal regulations this is a misnomer. FAR Part 103 or officially Title 14 CFR Part 103 FEDERAL LAW specifies a number of federal regulations so some uneducated 103 pilot does not fly into a GA traffic, a commercial airliner or create a hazard to the general public. If you in a remote area this will not affect you as much but in more congested airspace flying an ultralight, this is a big factor. No one wants to get hurt flying an ultralight. Simple.

Simply, if you are going to operate an ultralight in federal airspace, you need to know the laws that affect you, your family, your friends and the general public per Title 14 CFR Part 103.

If anyone thinks that those operating an ultralight are free from federal airspace regulations, think again. It is federal airspace and you must abide by the federal airspace laws.

Again, if you want to get qualified to fly an ultralight trike, it takes about half the time as a sport pilot and one quarter the time as a private pilot trike.

Click here for specific costs for training with Sport Aviation Center.

Back To Top